| The types of AFM memberships offered is as follows: |
This is the license to get if you want to go racing or just want to take the New Rider School. The license application consists of 3 pages, application for membership, release and waiver of liability, and medical form. Personal major medical insurance is required for all competition members. Emergency room-only insurance is not acceptable. Complete these forms in its entirety and get the release and waiver of liability form notarized. Send the completed forms along with the proper fees to the "Mail to" address listed on the form. You will be assigned an AFM competition number at the appropriate rider status (FY- First Year, NC- Novice Clubman, N- Novice, or E- Expert). Once you have a competition number and have passed the AFM approved New Racer School, you will be issued a competition license card and are then eligible to compete in AFM races and practices
If you are a brand new racer, you will be assigned a license with the FY status. If you have some prior road racing experience, you may be assigned a NC, N or E status license depending on the amount of experience you have. Submit documentation (your current club license will do) of your experience with your license application. Returning riders (who raced with AFM or another organization in the past), will usually be assigned a license at their prior status... but depending on the amount of time since they last held a license, they may have to take the New Racer School (see below).
- FY - First Year; must complete an NRS before they may practice or race at an AFM event.
- NC - Novice Clubman; have passed a NRS. You must enter a Saturday practice, Clubman class and one or more races that are run on Saturday and/or Sunday. Lap time requirements must be met during the Clubman race for the chosen races. (Refer 6.1 for time requirements)
- N - Novice; have raced at least one race w/ AFM; Note: N riders may enter Clubman classes and/or Sunday AFM classes, depending on how their lap times match up against lap time requirements for their chosen Sunday AFM classes.
- E - Expert; have met AFM expert status requirements; note: E riders may enter Clubman classes and/or Sunday AFM classes, depending on how their lap times match up against lap time requirements for their chosen Sunday AFM classes.
Number Assignment Policy: Go to the Forms page > New Member Information.
This is the license to get if you don't currently plan on racing, but want to be a voting member, be on the mailing list & receive a discounted subscription form for Roadracing World and Motorcycle Technology. Complete only the application for membership page of the application and mail with the proper fees to the "Mail to" address listed on the form. You will be assigned an associate member number (i.e. 75A).
You can upgrade the Associate license to a Competition license at any time during the year. To do so send the completed waiver release and liability and medical forms with the balance of the proper fees to the "Mail to" address listed on the form.
Reciprocity Membership and Requirements
The reciprocity license is for racers that already hold a current year license with another roadracing organization. (NOTE: Reciprocity riders are NOT eligible for season end AFM Championship awards, but they are eligible for all raceday awards, contingencies and other prizes)
The AFM offers license reciprocity with most motorcycle roadracing organizations in the US, as well as many foreign or international organizations. That means that if you hold a current and valid competition license with another organization (i.e. WMRRA, OMRRA, MRA, CVMA, etc...) you can participate in AFM events without getting the full AFM competition license... instead you apply for the AFM reciprocity license.
There are some specific restrictions, allowances and requirements involved with the reciprocity license, as follows:
- Riders who have Expert status in their normal racing club are treated as AFM experts.
- Riders who are Novice status in their normal racing club are treated as AFM Novice Clubman.
- Reciprocity riders may upgrade to full competition license and become eligible for year end championships. The request to upgrade must be received by July 1st. The request must be in writing and any additional fees need to accompany the request.
Many clubs in the USA offer license reciprocity with AFM. This means that your current AFM license will be honored with them, and they will allow you to participate in their events. However, since the addresses and phone numbers for these clubs change periodically, and our information is not always current and correct, we strongly suggest that you contact any club you might want to race with to make sure that they will honor your AFM license. THIS IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY.