How many board members are affiliated with Z2 and is the agent who has provided this newly required insurance affiliated with Z2?
The rumors I hear are regarding conflict of interest between the AFM and Z2 so I would like to have this cleared up.
Thank you, Rich, for directly asking the question. Currently 4 of the 11 members of the BOD have an affiliation with Z2. I’m not quite sure how the “take-over” is benefiting Z2, but if anyone has figured it out, I’m all ears!
I don't believe it’s a coincidence that the same people are attracted to both organizations. I truly believe that the people who work at track days generally care about helping others. Why would it be so hard to believe they wouldn’t extend that support to the AFM?
To answer the question, the BOD members that have an affiliation with both organizations are:
Kathy Reilly - My wife - SF Rider Representative
Jon Forman - Z2 Instructor - SF Chapter Director
Berto Wooldridge - Z2 (afternoon) Instructor - Inc. At-large Director
Don’t forget we’ve also taken over Tech with Ed Shaimas and I’ve dated everyone in T/S. Yup, everyone. Turn workers you're next…
So everyone is clear, in the choice of insurance providers, there are only two. The agent, who I recommended to Barbara, is married to an AFM racer. That racer is also a Z2 instructor. Did that agent get a commission? I certainly hope so for the amount of work they did and in such a short period of time.
This was a very time sensitive policy and if someone was going to get it, why shouldn’t it go to the spouse of an AFM member that supports the club? As stated previously only 20% of the entire insurance requirement was handled by this agent. The other 80% was handled by our old agent who received 4 times more commission. I doubt we’ll ever see any of that money spent within the club though.
In summary, this particular agent:
a - directly supports the AFM
b - understands the motorsports industry
c - is familiar with the particulars of the AFM, which helped expedite the needed policy
d - negotiated on behalf of the AFM to get only the portion of the policy we needed, hence negotiated their way out of 80% of the available commission
Over the years, I've made connections with all the board members in one fashion or another. You stay in the same fish bowl long enough, you get to know all the other fish. Follow the path of supposition far enough and you’ll no doubt find a conflict of interest by every member of the club. The only option would be to elect a board that has no relationships to any members or to the industry.
Since that’s not likely to happen, we expect the BOD member to abstain when they directly benefit from their vote. As a member of the BOD their duty is to the AFM before all other affiliations. The betterment of the club comes first. Implementation and, if need be, enforcement of BOD resolutions second. I don’t currently believe that sentiment is shared by all.
I believe nothing in life is black or white, but shades of gray. Every decision we make is a compromise, and no decision is 100% right or 100% wrong. We try to make choices that have more pros than cons but it’s always a compromise. Those that cannot compromise, or only dwell upon the negative aspects of a choice, are more of a hindrance and only slow progress.
I would expect that if anyone has substantiated facts, not unfounded accusation or hearsay, of a conflict of interest or impropriety, they would bring the details to the BOD immediately. Don’t just fling dung at the screen, do the right thing and bring it to the attention of your elected officials.